Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Drop it like its hot, baby

There was the bell. It was recess time, and all of the children in the class ran out, eager to play. All except for two little girls; Beth Aziz and Elizabeth Ahn. Beth was a rather chubby, oddly hairy little girl, while Elizabeth was a rather awkward, shy Korean girl who didn't say much outside the classroom.

The two girls looked at each other, unwilling to play together by default. Elizabeth took her book and stood in line to play tetherball, a game where it didn't matter if you had a friend because the next girl always played the winner of the game before. But she always took a book with her, in case the tetherball game didn't last long. She could usually be found sitting on a bench, reading a book. Beth went into the soccer field, wandering and exploring on her own.

When her mother picked her up, she asked her usual question, "How was your day at school, Elizabeth?"

The answer was always the same, "Today was a terrible day. Nobody wanted to play with me and I was so lonely at recess."

"Did you test your vocabulary test back?"

"Yes, I got 100%."

"Of course," her mother said, and paused. Elizabeth couldn't tell, but her heart hurt for her little girl. "Next time you should ask someone to play with you at recess."

"Ok," Elizabeth responded, knowing that she never would, and that they would have the same conversation tomorrow after school.

*     *     *     *     *     *

I don't think that those kids were mean; rather, I think that I was too shy and awkward to try and make any friends. And I was too proud to ask anyone if I could join in and play. I figured that if they didn't want to play with me, I didn't want to play with them. Quite frankly, who could blame them for not wanting to play with me? I was a rather homely, shy, and I was the school nerd who always did her homework who always had the right answer, and never spoke out of turn in class.

Today was the first day of our Mommy and Me preschool. Evan approached the class with a little trepidation, as he is generally a cautious child, and a bit shy by nature. I was a bit nervous as well, as perfectly coiffed women entered the room, one after another, with their equally perfect children. Little Evan and his bald mother were definitely the anomalies, and I felt awkward as I watched the other women greet each other with kisses on the cheek and peals of laughter. I sat there, playing with Evan, hating that I felt like I was 8 years old and back in elementary school. The classroom door opened once more, and a rather obese, dark-haired woman walked in with her son. She picked a spot next to me, the only spot still open. Great. I have now reunited with Beth Aziz.

One of these is not like the others...
Today was the first day that I felt so conspicuous. I could tell that a few were probably whispering amongst themselves. Definitely, she is sick. Maybe she is even contagious?

Everywhere I have gone up until now, people have known me as Liz, the attorney, the mom, and the confident, assertive woman. Here, for the first time, I had no previous identity to shield me from the stigma of cancer. I was the cancer patient, the skinny bald girl with a kid. This may come as a shock to many of you who know me now, but I was shy all the way from elementary school, and through high school and college. I didn't have a lot of friends, and it was only after law school and becoming an attorney that I found my voice. And that voice became stronger and even more my own after I met Joe. He loved that I had such a unique voice and personality, and how persuasive it was. He encouraged it, and his love and confidence gave me the foundation to be the woman I am today.

It's funny how fears that stem from our earliest memories, from our smallest selves can re-emerge no matter how much you've achieved, and how much you've overcome. But as adults, we're better equipped to choose whether we want to go back to those places, or re-affirm our present identities as women or men. I am proud of my voice, and the only person in that room who could truly suppress it was me.

So I got up, shook off my insecurities, and started talking to several of the women as the kids were playing. Some were less than responsive, but others seemed interested, and engaged me with warmth and friendliness. And cautious little Evan opened up as he realized that the strange new place was a safe one for him and mommy. He played and laughed and clearly loved being part of the class.

I guess in some ways, I'll never outgrow that little eight year old girl who didn't know how to fit in. And Joe, ever supportive, has told me that I don't need to put myself back in that situation if I don't have to. But I can't wear my cancer on me like the mark of Cain. Living with cancer isn't necessarily something to be proud of, but the strength that it takes to do so is definitely something to be proud of.

Cancer has already taken enough away from me. It's taken enough from our little boy. I refuse to let it take anything more from our family. My hair will grow back, and the faith and love Joe gives me everyday gives me the strength and confidence to overcome every situation. I never retreat- I attack! And I bet I will make some really good friends in the long run. So...here goes, I gonna drop it like its hot, baby. Mommy and Me -- here we come!

10 comments:

  1. Go, Unnee! Drop it like it's a new batch of chocolate pudding! ;) Just kidding. It's interesting to see how two people can have the same experience but feel it differently. I was pretty shy, too, and it seemed like the other kids were always asking for and taking my stuff, even though they came from families with a lot more wealth. But I just let them because I figured if they wanted it so badly, it must mean that they needed it more than I did, right? I guess your experience on the playground is why you got so angry at me whenever that happened, and pretty much browbeat a spine into your little sister. Which was a very good thing. I learned some tough lessons, but I also learned how to respect and take better care of myself in a world that can be pretty awesome and loving, but can also be pretty self-centered and closed. Hopefully Evan won't have the issues we did, but if he does, I know you'll be there supporting him and guiding him every step of the way. And he'll love you for it, just as I love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I makes me sad to think I was so tough on you when you were growing up. It made me so mad when those kids would take your stuff, and you were so passive about it. It made me more upset because I was the same way, and it hurt my feelings. I just didn't want you to have hurt feelings. I know it must have been tough to have me as an older sister. I just love you so much, and I want to protect you from all the bullies I couldn't fight off for myself. I couldn't stand up to any of mine, but I was sure and heck going to stand up to yours. My instinct to protect you always will always be there, because I never want you hurting in any way. I know that is impossible, but it kills me to think that someone has hurt you. I love you so much, and thank you for everything you have done and always do for me.

      Delete
    2. I am sorry I browbeat a spine into you. I should have been more gentle with you, as you were a rather sensitive child. I wish I could take that back. I am so lucky to have you as my baby sister.

      Delete
  2. I love NERDS!!!!!!!

    Cat, your comment, "Drop it like it's hot pudding," soooo cracked me up that I busted up laughing out loud!!!

    Liz, I love that you found your voice and it's even growing stronger through your journey with Cancer; sometimes what we've learned in the past will come back so that we can relearn it again and become even stronger than before.

    I think your voice is now becoming stronger because it shows that whether you have hair or not, you will for sure, "Drop it like it's hot, baby!" What what?!! You know it!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love nerds too! It is funny that nowadays, it is COOL to be a nerd! I was dorky (actually I still am) too, and it is also cool now to be dorky. I think they call it "adorkable" or something like that. I was both nerdy AND dorky all through high school!

      Delete
    2. You are so adorakable!!! :D

      Delete
  3. OMG... I am dying reading your post and comments (BTW from sunny beautiful caribbean Mexico waters he he he)... First of all, I cannot even IMAGINE you as a shy little girl!!! No way :) I always thought you would have been the leader of the pack, with all the kids in school following you around... You are so beautiful, smart, caring, and loving... I know you always were.

    But the protective side... Yup... Of course that was always in you... You have taught us all so much strength whenever things are rough... Being the most incredible example of it all.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nerds for life!

    Cuz, you were always the one I always looked up to and highly respected. I would have loved to elbow striked those ignorant trouphy wives of newport in the head, but you are a better person.

    I am blessed with all of you beautiful/strong ladies in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Us too! It's us four ladies and a gentleman-we are all so so lucky!

    ReplyDelete