Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My sister

"Unnee, can I hug you?" a small voice asks. Catherine looks up at her older sister hopefully.

Elizabeth groans. Her little sister is always such a pest. She looks down at Catherine, and relents. But just a bit. 'Okay, you can hug my pinky."

Catherine looks slightly disappointed, but still happy to get something. "Okay," she says. She grabs Elizabeth's pinky with a fierceness and intensity that is unusual for a 5 year old. "I love you, love you, love you, Unnee!" she squeals with glee as she hugs her sister's finger.

*     *     *     *     *     *

My sister and I have always been close. She is affectionate; I am not. She is sweet; I am...not so sweet. But one thing I know is that I have always been is her big sister. But now that I am sick, I find that, more and more, she is taking care of me. It's disconcerting, to say the least. I would protect her from everyone and everything, but now I seem unable to.

It was a complete shock when I first learned of my cancer. I had a growth on the side of my jawline. Although I had a history of tumors coming and going for the past 4 years, it was never cancer, and they always went away after a few months. This was no different. The doctor had, however, insisted on getting me into the operating room for an incisional biopsy. I was reluctant to have a long ugly scar along my neck, but the doctor persisted with a quiet patience that eventually overcame my opposition. So a scar was made along my neck, my sister had flew in, and we awaited the results of the biopsy.

My sister had flown in the night before on the late night flight from Washington, D.C. She knew that the results were due to come out any day now and wanted to be around as much as possible, just in case. This is the same sister who cleared her busy schedule two weeks prior to my due date with Evan, just in case. And she was right -- he was born two weeks early. She is forever prepared.

My mother was over at the house as well. She has been a constant figure since the tumor on the side of my neck appeared. I must admit, the swelling was bad, and just getting worse. She had been concerned about the tumors from the beginning and was not handling this latest appearance very well. She would look at me with sad eyes, and then try to get me to eat something. Quite frankly, I could hardly move my neck at this point, and with two additional lumps appearing on my legs, she probably had reason for concern. But it was never cancer before, and I waited for the results with surprisingly little worry.

My phone beeps. An email notification. I look at who it is from, and it is an email from my doctor. I open up my laptop at the kitchen counter. My sister is playing with Evan and my mom is at my stove, perpetually making me food. I click on the email, and I see the first few lines, which customarily state the diagnosis. The pathology report reads, "Final Pathologic Diagnosis: 1) Subcutaneous Panniculitis-like T-Cell Lyphoma."

I was in shock. Lymphoma is cancer. My mother was watching me closely, and I had nowhere to go. I did not want to shock my mother. 

"Is everything okay? Is that the report?" My mother asked quietly, her eyes boring into mine. 

"Yeah, everything is okay," I say, still in shock. I knew my mother realized something was wrong, but I needed to get away.

I grabbed my phone, and went upstairs. I called Joe, but he did not answer. I realized that he was probably in surgery, but I hung up and dialed again. Voicemail.

I went downstairs, because I did not know what to do with myself. I finally saw my sister, who was also watching me. She had heard the entire exchange between my mother and I.

I look at her. At last, relief. I needed to tell somebody. I went to her and told her quietly. "It's cancer. I haven't told Mom." I couldn't look at my sister's face. "I have to call Joe." I went outside and dialed again. Joe picked up.

"Joe, Joe, Joe. It's cancer. They say it is cancer," I whisper, my voice shaking, and my breath heaving. Tears silently run down my face, but I refuse to give in to sobbing. "They said it wasn't likely to be cancer, but it is cancer. It's lymphoma."

"Oh," Joe says. I know he is in shock. "I knew something was wrong. The doctor called me, and then you called me a couple of times, and I knew that it would be bad news." 

"What are we going to do? It is cancer." I say again, barely even whispering.

"We are going to make it. We have each other, and we will get through this just like we get through everything. This isn't the first time life has presented us with challenges. Trust me, we'll be fine."

"Okay. Okay," I say, gathering myself. "I have to go back inside the house. I just dropped the news to my sister, and left without talking to her."

I go back inside the house, and I see my sister. Her eyes look a bit shiny, and I find I can't look at her for very long because it makes me so sad to cause my baby sister pain. "I'm sorry, Catherine. You must be in shock."

"Yeah, but I knew something was really wrong when I heard you talking to Umma. Did you talk to Joe?" she asks. Her resolve burns through the unshed tears. She is my sister, after all. 

"Yeah, but I think we have to tell Umma. She knows something is wrong, and I just left." I say. We approach my mother in the kitchen. She has lost all pretense of cooking, and is just standing still in front of the stove, staring down at the pan. Worry creases her face as she turns to watch us walk in. 

"What happened? Did the biopsy results come out?" There's a slight tremor in her voice.

"Umma," I say quietly. I walk over to her and hold her arms. "They say it is cancer." I move my arms around to hug her, but she just stands there, unresponsive. I lean back. "Umma?"

She is silent, her face immobile for a few long seconds. And then her face crumples. "You said it wasn't going to be cancer. You said it wasn't cancer, and that it was like last time. You said it wasn't cancer. How could this be? Is this really happening right now?" she starts sobbing, a loud guttural cry that hits me through the heart. My sister and I start to cry as she lifts her head back and wails to the ceiling. It's hard seeing your mother in so much pain, especially when you are the cause of it.

"We will be okay, Umma. I am so strong. I can make it through this, don't worry." I try to respond as firmly as I can, as if I could dilute her pain with confidence. I always gain strength when I feel like I'm needed, particularly when it involves the people I love. But even as I embrace her, I can feel my own fear and my own pain riding just below the surface, amplified because I know I'm the cause of my mother's tears. My sister joins us as we hold each other, grieving, knowing that things will never be the same.

*     *     *     *     *     *

Since my diagnosis, my sister has been here with me through it all. She has been with me just as much as, if not more than Joe. She took a leave of absence from work, and has been here since my first round of chemo. She watches me like a hawk. She knows I'm in pain before I even utter a moan. She literally caught me when I collapsed from the pain of the neupogen expanding the marrow of my bones, and then ran to get Joe so he could take me to the emergency room. Before I was thirsty, she would have a glass of water at the ready, within reach. If my phone dinged with an email of text message, she went to get my phone for me before I even had a chance to look for it. She was always there, watching, observing, and taking care of me.

I don't know what I would have done without her. She's leaving to go back to work, and I am sad she is leaving. I will miss her companionship, her constant and tireless love, and her devotion to me. I am not used to being on the receiving end of help. I generally do not ask for help, nor do I accept it very well. I am the older sister, the eldest cousin, and usually the eldest friend in my groups. I am comfortable carrying the mantle of responsibility and feel exposed without it. But this time, my sister did not give me a choice, and she gave me the best gift a sister ever could.

I thought I knew my sister inside and out, but she revealed a depth and caring that I never fully realized until now. It feels odd to be on the receiving end of it. Perhaps this is what the irrepressible desire to love and show love that characterized her as a child evolved into as she became an adult. For the first time, I leaned upon my baby sister and discovered that she was strong enough to hold me up. I am so proud of the person that she is. Thank you, Catherine. From the bottom of my heart. You are the best sister and best friend anyone could ever have. 

My baby sister


14 comments:

  1. Was reading this (and crying) in bed earlier this morning... The strength you have is beyond anything I have ever known. And your darling sis Catherine... she is my hero and the most intelligent, caring, and loveliest person in the world. And she's a bit less stubborn than her sis :) Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! TOTALLY LESS STUBBORN! We have it writing! ;)

      Delete
    2. Um, no you are definitely more stubborn. You won every battle! I refused to let you take a leave of absence; but you won that. I told you not to come every weekend from DC; you won that still. You win everything now because I don't have the strength to fight your colossal stubborness!

      Delete
  2. Omg, I so remember how she would ask to hug you and you would always say it would be ok to hug your pinky. Even then, that was still good enough for Cat; she always looked up to you, so any sign of closeness or even slight bit of affection from her older sister would make her day. Cat's heart is so full of unconditional love, strength and hope; she's truly resilient like her older sister.

    Cat has definitely evolved and transformed over the years. She's always been strong, but even this time around, you could feel the intensity of her strength through her actions, her quiet pensiveness and her love to just take care of you. It reminds me of when she was training for her crazy marathon training-her spirit of constant, relentless pursuit to push through and overcome in the midst of tribulation. She truly is "Iron Woman", but just like her sister who is Titanium!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno. Sometimes still waters are just stagnant. But I do a good impression. ;)

      Delete
    2. You know, still and stagnant waters breed disease ridden mosquitos. :P

      Delete
    3. You both crack me up so so hard!!! Lol!

      Delete
  3. Unnee, no matter how many times you forced me to stand still while you connected the freckles on my face with permanent marker; no matter how many times you forced me and younger cousins to be the bad guys while you, Christine, and Angela got to be Wonder Woman; no matter how many times you tricked me into eating a "spoonful of sugar" that basically tasted like a mouthful of dry sand then ran away with the water pitcher, I always knew you loved me. I always knew I'd be safe with you, and that underneath that too-cool-for-annoying-younger-sisters exterior, you worried about me, took care of me, and would never let anything hurt me. And that's what you're doing right now. You may think that I'm taking care of you, but in reality you're still taking care of me. Because it hurts more to watch you in pain and do nothing. It hurts more to watch a loved one fall rather than take your hand. I know how hard it is for you to open up and share your pain -- this cancer has forced you to accept radical changes not just in your body, but in what you may have thought was the essence of who you are. But you are more than some kind of polished stone obelisk, all strength and all support and no weaknesses. The essence of who you are is someone who gives, who loves, and who cares - more than she's used to expressing. By letting me and everyone else reading this blog into your deepest thoughts and fears, you are simply amplifying the best parts of who you really are -- someone who may not like change but has the courage and strength to understand when it's needed, and the wisdom to do so through love. I will always be grateful that you've let me be a part of this journey, to walk beside you as we navigate these rough paths by the still waters of hope and faith. Family, like friendship, is always greater than the sum of its parts. Thank you, my dearest Unnee. I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too, you stubborn, loving, strong, and wonderful girl. Or, should I say, WOMAN. I am so proud of the person you have become. You are truly the best friend anyone could ever have.

      Delete
    2. Also, remember how I made you taste a tablespoon full of vanilla extract? Man, that was funny! You must have been drunk!!!! Ha Ha!

      Delete
    3. So beautifully put, Cat! Omg, tears, tears, tears! Can I get an "Amen" to that! Liz is truly changing, evolving for the better in every way!

      Delete
    4. Haha, you both are such pranksters! I love it!

      Delete
  4. Wow such a touching blog between two sisters that have unconditional love for one another.

    Catherine, even though I see how tired and drained you are, you still make an effort to smile, crack a corny joke, and take care of your big sis in a loving, sacrifical way.

    I guess you can't really see how much someone loves you until times of hardship and trial.

    Elizabeth, my beautiful cousin - you are truly one of the bravest, courageous woman I know. If there's one person I know that can beat this, its definitely you! Thanks again for coming out on Saturday! I know you were going through some pain, but you made it out despite our request for you to stay home. Jane had a great time and said wonderful things about everyone!

    Cheers to beating this together as a family!

    Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. Ecclesiastes 4:12

    Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too Albert. I know that I would not have been able to get through this without you and Christine right by my side. You guys are always praying for me, thinking of me, and loving me. I am so touched by everything- from your prayers, your visits, your gifts of holy water and toys, you have given me the strength and courage to get through this. I love you so much.

      Delete