Thursday, January 3, 2013

Yes baby, chemo sucks

I have now discovered that the second round of chemo is vastly different from the first round. I had some serious reactions after my toxic doses of chemotherapy yesterday, which included the red syringe of death and vincristine. I had full grade nausea, unable to be controlled even with two doses of my anti-nausea medication and its backup counterpart (zofran and compazine for the medically-minded). I was, however, managing to keep things relatively under control until around 8pm, when I started getting some tingles and pinpricks in my hands. Soon enough, the tiny needles radiated from my hands to my arms. From my feet to my legs. And then from my chest to my face. It's like when your leg falls asleep, and you're stuck at that point where your skin is crawling with pricks just waiting for the blood to rush back in and provide some relief. Except it never does.

I felt bad.

So naturally, I conduct a little research, and find that vincristine (a chemo drug as toxic as the red syringe of death, albeit less painful at the time of infusion), caused peripheral neuropathy. What? I know about peripheral neuropathy. I encountered cases as a medical malpractice defense attorney where plaintiffs suffered from peripheral neuropathy as an unintended but fully disclosed complication. It's when the nerves in your hands, arms, or legs go numb. It is usually temporary, but can sometimes be permanent, causing lasting damage to your nerves. I started to panic. For every prick in my hands, my feet, my arms, my legs, my face, I wondered -- could that be a place where I lost feeling?

I had excused myself to go to bed earlier in the evening, so I had been upstairs while Joe and my sister remained awake downstairs. I texted them, "My hands, arms and feet are numb. I have peripheral neuropathy."

I hear Catherine and Joe speaking in muffled voices. Slowly, I hear Joe's slow, deliberate steps trudging up the stairs, down the hall, and he finally enters our dark bedroom. "I have peripheral neuropathy," I say, trying to keep the panic from my voice. Knowing me as well as he does, he already knew from my text that I was panicking.

"Well," he says, in his calm, doctor voice which, by the way, always seems to rile me up. "What makes you say that? What are your symptoms?" he asks softly.

I try to keep the irritation out of my voice. "I have numbness from my hands radiating up my arms, my feet up my legs, and am starting to have numbness in my chest and face as well. I looked it up, and I have peripheral neuropathy," I said, crossly. I was nauseous, and feeling terrible inside and out. It almost seemed like I could feel the poison building up in my body. Why was he so exasperatingly calm?

He switched on the lamp. "Ok, your symptoms don't present as peripheral neuropathy. It sounds more like paresthesia, with the pinpricks, rather than loss of feeling in the fingers and feet. But, let's look it up," he says in that same calm voice.

I grab my phone and start looking up paresthesia myself. I quickly read through the search results. "It looks like paresthesia is a form of peripheral neuropathy," I say impatiently.

Joe is quietly and methodically reading through his own search results, and wisely ignores me.  I am a faster reader by far, but he is a more deliberate one. "Honey," he finally says, "you have paresthesia, and it most likely temporary. Do you want to call the nurse at the hospital and see what they can do?" he asks.

"Well, what can they do? Is there a medication they can give me?"

"You can take glutamine, 500 mg a day to help with the symptoms. You can pick some up at GNC tomorrow. But make sure you clear it with the doctor when you go in for chemo."

"It says it can be permanent," I whisper, scared. I'm suddenly glad that he is so calm and knowledgeable.

"Babe, it happens to abut 50% of chemo patients, and sometimes it is permanent. But that is really rare," he says, moving in to hold me.

"How do you know all of this?" I ask sadly. "You are kind of amazing."

"When the colorectal cancer patients go through chemo, a lot of them have paresthesia as well, and it usually does resolve. Just give it some time."

"Okay. I feel so badly. I am so nauseous, and I can't sleep because of the paresthesia," I murmur, miserable.  "Chemo sucks."

"Yes, baby. Chemo sucks." He continued to hold me as the pricks traveled up and down my body. We lay together, hoping the chemo causing all this pain will be the same chemo to cure my cancer.


10 comments:

  1. Never laughed and cried so much reading your blog. I'm sorry you have been in so much pain... Breaks my heart. You have definitely proven to TITANIUM!!! Could TOTALLY picture the interchange between you and sweet Joe... thats the part that cracked me up :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? :) I am so difficult sometimes! Haha!

      Delete
  2. Yes, this broke my heart reading this! My heart hurts because chemo does suck! Like you mentioned, however, the irony is it is also the same thing that can make you better. *sigh* On a lighter note, I can totally imagine you huffing and puffing too! Too funny! What a ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that you know my heart Christine. Like I always say, there isn't a memory from my childhood that you are not in. I want you to focus on yourself as well! I want you to take cae of yourself, and to be happy. I love you so much.

      Delete
    2. I love you more than life, Liz! You have always been by my side. I know you want me to focus on my life now-you've always loved me selflessly. We'll have much to celebrate along the way this year, not to mention a big celebration for your recovery! I can't wait for that one!

      Delete
  3. Hi Liz,

    I am a friend of Christine's…...

    i just wanted to let you know that you have been on my heart and that i have been praying for you….
    Through reading your blog and hearing so much about you through christine, i can't help but feel like i already know you. :)
    I remember reading your blog and feeling frustrated because i wish i could help, but didn't know how to. So as I came to tears reading your blog one day, i realized that there was one thing i could do. And that is to Pray…. I have been committed to praying for you and promise that I will continue to do so until your full recovery.

    Thank you for sharing your blog and can i just say that Evan is the cutest ever? Everytime I see his picture my heart smiles and i'm saying "aaaawwhhh" :)
    Also, woman to woman I must tell you. Hair or no hair, you are "Fabulous!" You look great!! I wish I was half as stylish as you are :)

    Lots of love,
    Justine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your prayers! Christine has been there with me from beginning, and has never left my side or my heart. Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness and your prayers. I am very grateful that my blog has reached the people around me and my family. It has helped me to deal with my own emotions and feelings as well. Thank you so much for taking the time to read them!

      Delete
    2. Justine, your comment made me cry! Thank you for loving Liz! I am so overwhelmed for your love and heart for her! Love you so much, girl!

      Thank you for sharing your love with Liz! Made me smile through my tears!

      Delete
  4. Liz, told you that you're HOT, no matter what! You are a true beauty because hair, no hair, makeup, no makeup, flash, no flash, your beauty shines through regardless of whether you "accessorize" or not! You are a gem!! You sparkle, sparkle, sparkle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz made dinner tonight and it was her usual kitchen wizardry. We had linguini with clams. The fresh Manila clams were paired with perfectly al dente linguini in a white wine sauce spiced with chorizo and garlic. It was amazing. I honestly do not know how she deals with lymphoma, takes chemotherapy, endures terrible side effects AND pulls off a perfect meal like that! And all the while, she continues to look beautiful! It is really something to witness from my perspective.

    By the way, my calm sonorous voice noted in this episode of Liz's blog was only due to the fact that I had just taken 30ml of NyQuil before Liz started texting me about her symptoms. There I was on the couch downstairs practically drooling with one eye open when I got a text message that my wife was having an acute neurologic event upstairs! It was quite a moment and I am really glad that she is doing better. Luckily, my cold has resolved and I will not be incapacitating myself with NyQuil again anytime soon. :). Love you Liz!

    ReplyDelete