Saturday, December 29, 2012

A Christmas Gift from the Magi

The little spikey hairs on my head are now falling out. And surprisingly, it is a bit uncomfortable. Setting aside the fact that little pointy hairs getting stuck on my skin and in my clothes leaves me itchy and irritated, the changes to my skin feel like little needle pricks all over my head. So very uncomfortable.

Before it came time to shave my head, my friend Sharon made me promise to tell her when I was going to do it. Ultimately, I decided not to because I didn't want her to get upset. She was, however, the first person to see me with it shaved. 

Prior to losing my hair, Sharon had threatened to cut own hair when I cut mine. I strictly forbade her to do so. She, like me, has had long hair for as long as I have known her. 

Sharon with her beautiful long hair
Then, a couple of nights ago, I got a picture text from her with the caption, "Guess what I did tonight???"

OMG
 I could not believe it. I gasped, and my sister looked up, alarmed. "What's wrong?" she asked.

I could not respond. I grabbed my phone and dialed Sharon's number.

"Hello?" said Sharon in her happy voice.

"What have you done? Why did you do this?" I asked her in a shaky voice. I couldn't believe it, and I started crying. I was devastated. "Your beautiful hair! How could you? You promised me you wouldn't cut your hair!" I said, in a choking voice.

"No, no!" Sharon said. "I love my new haircut! It was a great time for me to cut it, and we can grow our hair together," she said, happily. "Please, please don't cry! I am so happy with my hair, I think it looks so cute! I swear to you that I really do love it. And when you see it, you will love it too." She paused. "And if you don't you better lie to me about it!" she said, laughing.

"I love your hair, and I can't believe you cut it," I said, still choking and sobbing. For those of you who don't know, I am not an elegant crier. "How short is it?"

"It is kind of at my chin," she said.

I blanched. "Oh my god, that is so short," I whispered.

"No, I swear I love it! Please stop crying," Sharon pleaded.

Needless to say, I was shocked. When I first received the text, all I could think was that Sharon had cut her hair because of me. It was like losing my hair, twice -- but this time, without any warning. After I had calmed down a bit, though, she explained to me that she really did love her hair. Honestly, I cried more about Sharon's hair than my own. She has the most beautiful hair. It is thick, luxurious, and has a curl to it, which is not typical for Korean hair. It was devastating to hear that she cut her long locks in solidarity for my own. It was heartbreaking, but it was also one of the most beautiful gestures that I have ever been on the receiving end of. It reminded me of O. Henry's short story, The Gift of the Magi.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the story, it is the story of a young married couple, long ago, who were very poor. The story begins with the wife, Della, crying because it was Christmas, and she only had $1.87 with which to buy her beloved husband Jim a present. They were very poor, but had two possessions that they took great pride in. One was Jim's watch, that had been handed down from his grandfather, to his father, and finally to Jim himself. The other was Della's beautiful hair, which flowed all the way down to her knees. But that morning when she let down her hair, an idea sprang to mind. She quickly pulled up her hair again, shed a tear or two, and went out. She sold her hair for $20, and with the money, she purchased a beautiful platinum watch chain for Jim. Della waited for him, excited at the happiness her sacrifice would bring. But when he came home, Jim stopped short, stunned at the sight of her hair. Wordlessly, he placed Della's Christmas gift on the table. And when Della opened the gift, she found a pair of beautiful tortoise combs embellished with jewels. The very same ones she had worshipped in a store window. He had sold his watch to buy her the combs she'd wanted for her hair she no longer had; and she, in turn, sold her hair to buy him the chain for a watch he no longer had.

This story reminds me of Sharon's gift to me. She did it happily, and without question. And thank goodness that she is so beautiful, both inside and out, that her hair looks fabulous on her.

I have been so fortunate to find myself surrounded by such generosity and care. Remember how I mentioned my craving for butter pecan ice cream in a previous post? Well, a couple of days ago an insulated package was dropped off at my door, filled with a special delivery from my friend Fariha -- six pints of Sprinkles butter pecan ice cream. This, on top of the incredible generosity of the Newport Coast MOMS club, who have been dropping off a full dinner every Thursday for me and my family (and many of then signed up for multiple meals), is more than anyone could ever ask for, or expect.

My life, it seems, has been blessed by the spirit of Magi -- perhaps a fitting reminder of all of our blessings during this holiday season. O. Henry ends his short story with these words:

"The magi, as you know, were wise men--wonderfully wise men--who brought gifts to the Babe in the manger. They invented the art of giving Christmas presents. Being wise, their gifts were no doubt wise ones, possibly bearing the privilege of exchange in case of duplication. And here I have lamely related to you the uneventful chronicle of two foolish children in a flat who most unwisely sacrificed for each other the greatest treasures of their house. But in a last word to the wise of these days let it be said that of all who give gifts these two were the wisest. O all who give and receive gifts, such as they are wisest. Everywhere they are wisest. They are the magi."

My beautiful Sharon, myself, and my Sprinkles butter pecan ice cream. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh my... my silly love... You were supposed to show off your gorgeous new headscarf skills!! That pic of the four of reminds me of SO much... Remember how you and Joe flew up to SF in a heartbeat because I needed you? And how you delivered a baby 2 weeks early because you were busting your bootie 9 months preggos, cooking a storm on a daily basis, and making the most coveted cookbook for a bride to be? You have always been MY magi and I wish the gift I could give you was to make all the cancer go away now. I'm so thankful for your undeniable close friendship through all of life's best and worst. Love you so very much my beautiful Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon is truly your angel! I'm so grateful for her in your life. I so got teary-eyed and touched reading this; you can so feel her heart for you. And you got your sprinkles butter pecan ice cream too! It truly has been the spirit of the Magi this holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Sharon that's so awesome of you! Plus the new haircut looks good too!

    I'm so proud of you cousin! You have done such an amazing job with everything.

    Happy New Year to you beautiful ladies!

    ReplyDelete