Thursday, December 13, 2012

My friends are amazing

Every time I think that I am having a tough time, or that I do not want to take another pill, another shot, or another chemo session, something truly amazing happens.  My friends are amazing.
Just a few of my friends that have helped me along the way....
My friends have been there for me every step of the way. Lifting my spirits with dinner and movies, or just coming over and hanging out. I cannot reiterate just how lucky I am. The other night, a bestie came over with chemo blankets for me to sleep in. On Monday, my cousin came over after my first day of chemo to make sure I was still alive. And today, two dear friends came over to drop off food. My MOMS Club set up a meal plan, where meals are to be delivered once a month for the next six months. Virtually every slot is filled. More than a few of them signed up multiple times with one crazy but dear friend signing up 5 fives. I am one lucky gal.
Day 3 chemo. Very soft and warm blanket, coupled with lack of sleep and fatigue =  nap time. It really is too bad that I can only sleep with an IV pumping poisons into me.
Today, I felt a bit tired, but still wanted to finish all the things I had planned. I finished my Christmas shopping, and met my girl for lunch. It was so great to sit down, and talk about nothing, just to laugh. Afterwards, my sister and I wrapped all of Evan's thousands of presents, and a very dear friend came over. She brought more food that another good friend made, as well as a plethora of gifts and goodies. The most touching of all was a manila envelope that was filled with cards she had collected from my old law partners and my former secretaries at my firm.

This was amazing.
It is really not my nature to announce events going on in my life, but this was a special gift my friend did for me. She somehow knew how much it would mean to me to read all of these cards. It reminded me of the days when I was single, working hard, keeping time with everybody and everything, and just being a young professional in this world. It seems like a lifetime ago. I would never trade my life for anything, cancer or not, and I'm grateful for all my experiences and the relationships that were started and solidified there. 

The card from one of my old secretaries was particularly poignant. Among other memories, she reminded me of an out of town deposition I had to go to. I ended up stuck for hours and hours at an airport, but I still refused to change my shoes for fear of looking dowdy. I had to laugh at the memory -- such vanity then, and even now. Perhaps always. But when she told me that she burst into tears while reading my blog, it made me sad. 

I'm feeling tired. My throat feels like it's closing up, and I am gradually having trouble swallowing. They say that my mucous membranes are going to be affected by the chemo (mucousitis), and I guess that is starting. Joe had mentioned that I would likely feel okay until about the end of the week, and we are nearing that time frame. I'm lucky that I was able to get all the things done today that I wanted to. Even Oliver has been groomed, bathed, and ready for some quality home time.

What a sweet present!
I start my Neupogen shots tomorrow for 10 days. I thought all my shots were over with after my fertility treatments, but I guess they must continue. Neupogen is used to regulate the white blood cells so that it doesn't hit a dangerously low level due to the chemo. The nurse at the hospital told me that I would be at my weakest 10 days from the last day of chemo, which puts me right at December 20th through 24th. So it'll be a low key, at-home Christmas for me. 

I am realizing that there will be days when I may be unable to write in my blog. On these days, I will ask my darling sister Catherine or my Joe do my writing for me. I look forward to reading their entries, and I hope you will too.

3 comments:

  1. I love the sweet things your friends are doing for you, especially the cards! It made me smile, knowing how happy and loved you are! Manhi saranghey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU... my love are the most caring, loving, giving friend that we all know. Everyone reading this knows exactly what I mean. It's YOU that is amazing. And thank you for allowing us feel a little better by doing something. Anything.

    And WHAT IN THE WORLD are you doing at Fashion Island??? I'm so mad at you and got so SCARED!!! Arrrrrrghhhhh!!!!

    ReplyDelete